Monday, February 16, 2009

2008 World Press Photos of the Year

There are some incredible photos in various categories. I looked at the selection offered here by the Telegraph and picked the above for my favourite. It is by an American called Callie Shell and it won for the People in the News category. It was taken during the Presidential campaign.

One of the major reasons for my quitting a career as a photographer was that I could not be objective when something was going on. In the middle of something terrible, like the Hillsborough disaster in 1989 when I was just starting to establish myself, I realised (although I was not actually there that day - I was at another match) that I could not shoot pictures of pain and misery. That was why I concentrated on sport and theatre - events where there was a previously-established agreement that it was ok to watch. The other? I just wasn't wired that way. However, I still look at the pictures other people take, and some of the best are part of these awards.

No comments:

Post a Comment