Saturday, May 19, 2007

an early crush - alan bates

saw an article in the mail today by donald spoto. i've read his biographies of marilyn monroe, lotte lenya and marlene dietrich, and this is an extract from his latest work on alan bates.

o but i was in love with alan bates in my early teens. roles in 'georgy girl', 'far from the madding crowd', 'women in love' and 'the go-between' in the late sixties and early seventies won my heart. then a friend of my father, with whom he'd worked on 'jesus of nazareth', came to london and i was his host for a qpr match. as we rode in his limo towards the stadium, cenzo pointed at a house and told me that's where alan bates lived. a few days later i returned to the spot, and went into the front garden. i couldn't see into the window of the house because i have never been very tall, and i jumped up and down trying to look in. the window opened, and i was told to eff off. an exciting moment in my teenage life, recalled in the cartoon below.


spoto goes into detail regarding bates' many homosexual affairs. i don't go into detail about my few. o well ...

No comments:

Post a Comment